July 17, 2009

Vista/Windows 7 SMTP Server

I am doing most of my coding lately on my new Windows 7 box and last night I came across a problem sending mail. I looked and looked but saw no SMTP server! It seems that Microsoft has stopped including an SMTP server with Windows 7 (and it seems vista as well). I wanted something very simple and lightweight and something that did not require much configuration on my part. Below is a list of what I found online and my thoughts on each:
  • XMail: Way more than I needed but a great one
  • Hmail: For some reason I could not get it to work for me
  • Gmail SMTP Service: I guess I could have done this...but did not even try
  • SoftStack: See below
  • Postcast: The winner (see below)
The one that I saw most people using and seemed easy enough was SoftStack. A simple install and was lightweight, but it had a fatal flaw! It seems that it can only send 10 emails per day! I needed something else, and I found it in PostCast. They have a free edition which was simple and lightweight and yet gave some advanced options if you needed it. It worked perfectly for me and is now my new SMTP server for Windows 7.

Having said all this, I don't get why Microsoft stopped including SMTP!

2 comments:

  1. why not fire up FreeBSD in virtual pc, and just use it as a host for postfix. free, solid, and while not the easiest/quickest solution, a certainly robust one.

    ReplyDelete